What is SEGway?
SEGway instruction combines challenging academic standards in Science and English Language Proficiency with research-based teaching strategies.
In SEGway, students participate in complex engaging tasks that support brain development and help them practice language and science at the same time.
Science: Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) emphasize science and engineering practices, scientific concepts and systems, and science’s “big ideas”.
English: English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) focus on the academic and social English students need in order to succeed in Math, English Language Arts, and Science.
GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition Design): GLAD teaching strategies help students learn academic content and language together. GLAD strategies are research-based, interactive, and culturally sensitive.
- All elementary students in grades 1-5 will attend SEGway class for 40 minutes a day, 3 days a week.
- Kindergarteners will have SEGway for 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
- All students will learn science and academic language with grade-level peers who have diverse language backgrounds and levels of proficiency in English.
- Each elementary school will have a specialist who consults with teachers to promote research-based teaching strategies for all learners.
- Teachers will receive professional development through out the year.
- English Language Development (ELD) teachers will teach SEGway in their own classrooms.
- Students who qualify for ELD services will receive them through SEGway class.
- Newcomers will receive additional English language acquisition support 4-5 times a week